google-site-verification=pWL-tsKv_tSQTqlhcmJpCmxpK3cFODQyFtvPX7fxHG8 google-site-verification: google672c896e8ed01abf.html
top of page
Geotechnical Engineering

Councils often require applications for resource or building consent to include a Geotechnical Report, often referred to as Geotech or Soil Report, to support a consent application.

A Geotechnical Report provides an in-depth analysis of the type and strength of the soils present on the site and includes values and recommendations needed by the structural engineer, architect, and other professionals involved in the design and construction of the house or building.


The information and results provided in the Geotechnical Report are obtained through a site investigation. Prior to the site investigation, Shire Geotechnics will engage with the client and their architect/ planner to understand the proposed development and design an appropriate site investigation.

Construction Site

A well-devised, specific site geotechnical investigation is a key requirement for good building performance and mitigates the risks of unsatisfactory ground performance.


Site investigations may comprise:

  • Council and geological database analysis and site walkover.

  • Drilling of hand augers to up to 5m depth.

  • Testing and analysis of soils present on site.

  • Cross sections, slope stability analysis.

  • Groundwater measurement and monitoring.

  • Scala, CPT, and where test depths greater than 5m are required machine boreholes.


Often an appropriate site investigation will lead to more economic foundation design solution, reduce risk of project delays, and reduce risk of post-development building performance issues. 

When considering that all buildings are in constant contact with the ground, the modest upfront cost of a geotechnical report compared to the cost of the proposed development is generally accepted as being money well spent.

Contact Shire’s Geotechnical Engineering team now.

Contact Shire

bottom of page